Friday, July 9, 2010

Papertrey Peeps Challenge #11

Just back from a quick trip to Kansas City to meet my stepson's sweet girlfriend and her two sons.  We had a wonderful visit, stayed overnight and even got to sleep late one morning. After breakfast, we made a brief (1 hour!) stop at Archiver's  and DH patiently waited while I took in all the goodies! 

My card today is for our most recent Peeps Challenge #11.  Nicole challenged us to do something 'out of our comfort zone' so I chose to work with a color that, for me, unfortunately falls in that category. TURQUOISE, one of this year's most popular colors, is a challenge for me! I see so many fabulous creations made by other people but for some reason I have steered away from it. While I bought PTI's Hawaiian Shores products in March, it was Heather's Peeps challenge in June that reminded me how little I reach for turquoise. I hadn't even opened the cardstock package! So after using a little turquoise for accents in that challenge and in two other cards, I decided to do something more bold! 

I wanted to use the flowers in the Take Three-Summer set so I combined Terracotta Tile with Hawaiian Shores for this card. I think I like it--definitely need to try this more often!!

Supplies:
Stamps: Take Three-Summer (PTI)
Cardstock: Hawaiian Shores, Terracotta Tile, Vintage Cream (all PTI)
Patterned Paper: Thrifty Shop-October Afternoon
Additional: Sea Breeze Ink-VersaMagic; Orangerie Ink-PTI; Copics; Quikutz Embossing Folder (Diamonds and Dots); EK Success border punch; Rickrack Die (PTI)

Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!
Sharron


12 comments:

Anika said...

I love the colors you chose, Sharron! And you used them very well together! Great layout too!

Carol's Ink Spot said...

Sharron this is beautiful!I love how the Terracotta Tile color just jumps out and grabs your attention against the HS. I never thought to pair it with the HS color. And I love the Thrift Shop PP. I think you are going to like Turquoise now!

Diane Jaquay said...

How pretty! Love the embossing, and the flowers are gorgeous!

Cammie said...

I don't use turqoise often either. But now I can add you to the list of those who inspire me to use it more often. This card is stunning!

Marinette-Scraptherapie said...

ta carte toute embossée est vraiment très belle, et ces couleurs wow j'aime beaucoup l'idée

Terri said...

Turquoise is one of my favorite colors. :) You did a nice job using it. I never would have thought to put it with terracotta tile but it looks cool. Love the October Afternoon paper you used. I just got some too. Glad you had a nice time on your trip and got to visit Archivers too. We have one here but I am try to stay away from there because I know if I go in I will spend a fortune.

Rhonda said...

Love the terra cotta tile w/ the turq. Love the take 3 set too.

Nerina said...

Sharron this is fabby! I'm so glad you liked working with it - and that the challenge stretched you in a positive direction! I love the way you've paired the turquoise with the Thrift Shop paper (delicious) and TT - such an amazing combo! You, Rhonda and Dana have all come up with the most wonderful cards using Take Three Summer recently ... I'm starting to think I NEED it !! :0)

Heather P. said...

Wow, wow, wow! Did I already say wow?? This is totally GORGEOUS, Sharron!

Aimes said...

Judging from this, you should work with your uncomfortable colour more often! I love how bright and summery this card is and your embossed background looks great!
Hugs,
Aimes
x

peggysue said...

It looks wonderful! Such a great layout and that card is so summery! Glad you had a trip to archiver's, its a fun place.

Linda W said...

For not liking turquoise, you used it extremely well! I think the use of the patterned paper helps pull it all together. Love your choice of stamps and placement. Great job!!