Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge #103

Edna Morrisedie created this fun but very challenging sketch for this week's WMS Challenge. When I first saw it, the only thing I could think of was bricks. I tried to see what else I might make but ended up going back to the bricks! I had bought this patterned paper quite some time ago thinking I could use it some time to create fireplaces. Then I remembered that JJ Bolton had used the Memory Box Grand Madison Window die to make a fireplace. I don't have that die (yet!!) but I did have one of the window boxes that my dear friend, Renee, shared with me. I colored it with Copics and used it for the mantle. All the stamps came from Twas the Night Before Christmas set. I stamped the wreath twice to give a little more volume. The sentiment was stamped on the brick paper and then cut out. I couldn't imagine how I could stamp on the final cut-out fireplace without lots of smearing! I curved the stamp slightly so the 'Christmas' would be on a curve--just one of the many joys of using clear stamps! There are two layers of green vellum on the inside of the fireplace with the mouse stamped on the vellum. 
 
I had to rethink my stamping projects for the week. I knew I could never get everything done so am concentrating on the must-do cards plus WM and the 12 Kits monthly release. I am again all tied up with daylily activities that are taking much more time than I planned! 

Temperatures here are back up over 100 degrees every day! Hope it's cooler where you are!!

Smiles,
Sharron

Supplies
Stamps: Twas the Night Before Christmas (WMS)
Cardstock: Oatmeal (WPlus9); Stamper's Select White, Vintage Cream PTI); Green-color unk.
Other Paper: Green Vellum (LSS); City by the Bay (My Little Shoebox) 
Punches/Dies: Scalloped Scallop Edger Punch (EK Success); Grand Madison Window Box (Memory Box)
Additional: Pearls (Recollections); Embroidery Thread; Bamboo Leaves and Tuxedo Black Ink (Memento); Slate Ink (Amuse); Copics; Gelly Roll Pen-Gold

12 comments:

Vickie Z said...

I thought of bricks too! Lovely Xmas card! Love the mantle and I'm wanting those Memory Box dies too!

Kim Heggins said...

Oh my goodness Sharron, this is just so fabulous! I love that little mouse inside the fire place, just so clever and your sentiment stamped in the bricks, so cute. Wonderful Christmas card!

Deborah Frings said...

Just love this idea! So, so sweet. I really like the words stamped on the bricks, the sweet wreath and candlesticks and best of all is the cute mouse!! Fab!

Edna Morrisedie said...

Very cool use of the sketch thanks so much for playing along with the Mischief Makers!

Cammie said...

Great take on a challenging sketch! Such a sweet scene. Love the words stamped on the bricks, the banner, and tiny mouse. Try to stay cool; we had a two-day respite with temps in the 80s, but the 90s and 100s are expected by Saturday.

Marybeth said...

Sharron I love the little fireplace scene you have created. Great idea for this sketch , it was a bit challenging .perfect to stamp on the bricks. Love the stamped wreath too.

Jeanne J. said...

Sharron, I think this card is so clever! I love that you were inspired by the design and took it in your own direction. The little mouse in the hearth is adorable. Great idea to double stamp the wreath too! Oh... and another detail... the way you used the die for the mantle - just awesome!

Joyce said...

Such a cute card. I love that fireplace scene you created. I didn't dare approach this sketch! I think the mouse is the most darling little touch. And, thanks for the heads up on the Memory Box owl die. I hadn't seen that one, and of course, DD NEEDS that one, too!

Iwona Palamountain (Chupa) said...

Wow, this is totally cool! So much work, but I LOVE the effect!! Thank you for joining us for a Waltzingmouse sketch this week :)

Julia Aston said...

I love your wonderful fireplace Sharron with the sentiments stamped on the bricks and the cute mouse in the hearth!

Peanut said...

Wow! The fireplace is simply stunning! Love it!!!!

Kim Duran said...

Sharon, your card is amazing! I can really tell you put a lot of thought into it. And I just love the brickwork on the mantle with the stamping on the bricks. And the wreath....oh I can't wait for Christmas now! Thanks for joining us this week at Waltzingmouse!