Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Masculine Retirement Gift

Hope no one thought I had melted in the awful heat, even though I have felt at times that I might! We spent four days over the past weekend attending a Regional Daylily Meeting. There were many fabulous gardens but we did have to contend with LOTS of heat and humidity.

Before we left for St. Louis, I was able to attend a retirement lunch for one of the doctors where I recently worked. Thought I would share what I made. Masculine cards are always difficult for me but with lots of inspiration I was able to come up with this card and accompanying notebooks. Even an idea for a gift was a challenge. He loves to read and mentioned wanting to do some travel so I purchased a book on travel. I love these little PTI notebooks and had some inserts on hand. I used what stamp sets I have plus the computer to make sentiments.
For the card I used a Waltzingmouse Stamps sketch--so easy to work with! The road was a variation of one by Diane Jaquay using the Up, Up and Away rainbow. Isn't she clever! Thanks Diane! Patterned papers were leftover from  recent cards I made (here and here). I made the sentiment on the computer.












I didn't have stamps to use so I created this notebook with patterned paper and KaiserCraft rub ons. I had never used rub ons before so this was kind of fun and supplied the look I wanted. Once again, I made the label on the computer and cut out with the PTI die that came with the teapot die set.
I even added a rub-on on the inside.

Notebook #2 uses all PTI stamps. I did make the 'Books to Read' on the computer. The cute little library cards are printed from a template by Heather Nichols (here). I just reduced them in size and cut them out.

I used On My Couch and Chair-ished here:
These notebooks are so much fun to make and I think were well received. Thanks to everyone that provided inspiration for my project.

Hope you are having a good week.  
Stay cool,
Sharron

Supplies:
Card: Kraft Cardstock (PTI), Core-dinations, Bazzill (grey), S-E-I En Route and My Mind's Eye Quite Contrary Patterned Papers, Karen Foster Designs License Plate, Spellbinders Labels 11, silver brads

Notebook #1: Kraft Cardstock (PTI), Core-dinations, Making Memories Panorama Patterned Paper, KaiserCraft Pack Your Bags Rub Ons, Fly Away Stamp Set (PTI), Notepad (PTI), Tea Dye Duo (PTI)

Notebook #2: Ocean Tides Cardstock (PTI), Bitty Boxes (PTI), Chocolate Remix (PTI), Pack Your Bags Patterned Paper (KaiserCraft), On My Couch, Chair-ished and Sign Language Stamp Sets (PTI), Notepad (PTI), Copics

10 comments:

Anika said...

Fun set! What a great idea for a retirement gift!

Carol's Ink Spot said...

Sharron these are fabulous! Love the notebook ideas. The pile of books on the floor is super cute!

Nerina said...

Sharron these are all absolutely fabulous! I can't believe all of the creative details you've added to each and every one! You've interpreted the reasons for the books so well visually - and your card is a beautiful collage of shape, texture and movement! What a great gift to give - AND RECEIVE!!

Heather P. said...

These are totally FABULOUS! I have the hardest time creating masculine items, but love these!

Diane Jaquay said...

This is such a great looking gift ensemble, Sharron! And you're "road" looks terrific, always happy to inspire ;)

Rhonda said...

Love the library cards on the notepad. Great project. Enjoy the holiday weekend.

Terri said...

What a great gift! I especially like the rainbow road. Hope you have a great 4th!

peggysue said...

Those are fabulous! This is the first time I've been seriously tempted by the chair set, great job on those notebooks, they do make a terrific masculine project.

Cammie said...

Each of these is so cleverly creative and beautifully done! You have done a fantastic job.

Amy Kolling said...

Oh I LOVE that notebook with the books read on it! Super super cute! Love how you resized the library card and added it on there!