Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The 12 Kits of Christmas: Presenting in May---The Kit of Hanukkah!!




It's that fun time again---time for the 12 Kits of Christmas Blog Hop! And this month our very talented hostess is Joyce Mehrberg, Cards-by-the-Sea. Joyce is of the Jewish faith and created the most incredible kit for us just full of of things to make for Hanukah. She also included a brief history of the holiday. She explained that Hanukah (or Chanukah or Hanukkah) is not a very important Jewish holiday but a fun one. It celebrates the rededication of the temple in Jerusaleum after it was attacked by the Greeks. It is also known as the festival of lights and is normally celebrated by lighting candles on a Menorah, playing dreidel, eating latkes and, of course, presents! Below is a photo of all our gorgeous supplies, taken by Kara, our very talented 12 Kits photographer! If you have visited on the other months, you know we have created our little group as a way to work throughout the year on those Christmas/Holiday cards that can become such a cumbersome project at the end of each year. Each month one member puts kits together for herself and each member of our group. Love it when the new kit comes---just imagine a fabulous envelope of surprise stamping goodies!!
PHOTO BY KARA

I had so much fun with Joyce's kit. My projects came together so easily and were really enjoyable to make. I love the colors and Joyce included so many wonderful patterned papers and great die cuts. As always, I have a bunch of supplies left over--one of the many benefits of being part of this amazing group! A highlight of every month is reveal night! It is so inspiring and such fun to see what everyone has made!


My first creation is a card. All the supplies came from the kit except the silver panel, the card base and the pearls, which I colored with Copic's Cool Gray #C3. I used a silver glitter pen to do the flames on the candles but you probably can't see this in the photo. 
And since Hanukah is a holiday where lots of gifts are given, my next two projects are things that can be used to accompany a gift. For this one I used a tag that is slipped inside the panel of patterned paper. I did glue the paper first to a piece of cardstock before using Scor-Tape to mount it on the cardstock base. This helped give it more body.

Here is a photo of the back of the tag!
I used the Favor-it #3 die cut to make a small gift box. Perhaps some gold-wrapped chocolate coins could be placed inside. I used the small triangle that Joyce included that was stamped with 'Just a little something" and cut out one of the dreidels. I stamped "For and From" on the back of the triangle. Both were tied to some ribbon and can be tucked inside the sentiment label. I attached it on three sides only.
Be sure to visit all the wonderful blogs where you are sure to find lots of inspiration.

Hugs,
Sharron


Note at 8:30pm: We are having terrible storms here tonight so hopefully this will get posted on schedule. A terrible hail storm just a little while ago wiped out our entire daylily garden. We will have to wait until morning to see the results on the house and cars! We were hoping for rain but not like this!!

Supplies I used:
Stamps: Mazel Tov, Triangle Trilogy, Fillable Frames #4 and #10 (all PTI); "For and From" from WMS Twas the Night Before Christmas
Dies: Favor-It #3, Tag Sale #5, Triangle Trilogy, Fillable Frames #4 and #10, Double-ended Banner, Limitless Layers Circles and Ovals (PTI); Whimsy Circle (Memory Box)
Cardstock: Stamper's Select White, Enchanted Evening, Spring Rain, Blueberry Sky, Harvest Gold (PTI)
Patterned Paper: Digital Kit from Etsy
Ribbon: PTI and Amuse

17 comments:

The Paper Parade said...

Wow, what great creations, Sharron! I think my favorite is the first. The layout you chose, and all the layering makes it a beautiful card :) I love your idea of the tag in the pocket on the second! And yet another little pocket on the gift bag...how cute :)

Renee said...

Sharron...
these are fabulous!!!
I absolutely love what you did with all of this!!
That card with the tag...
LOVE!!
Why didn't I think of that?
See!
This is why I save goodies! *giggle*
But the first card...
it's gorgeous!
Just everything is!
You rocked this kit!! :)
And we have your storms coming through later today!
We just discovered our roof was damaged in those really bad Spring storms that came through...
and the roofer will be here week after next...
hoping the tarp holds when they come through!
I'm so sorry about your daylilies...
you put so much love and care into them! :(
Hugs!!

Jeanne J. said...

I hope everything is ok this morning after the hail! I am glad you got to post so we could all see the beautiful creations you made. I think you definately captured the "FUN" element here. I love the pockets on the card and on the little gift box. So clever to tie the dreidle and the triangle tag onto the yellow ribbon!! Amazing Sharron - I'm going to have to case that!!

Rhonda said...

Hi Sharron, So sorry about the hail damage. This weather is crazy. We are having lots of rain and some hail here too.

Love the projects. The stripe on the 1st one pops Happy!!!

Carol's Ink Spot said...

Beautiful cards! I love the colors and design you have going on the first card. I'm going to be casing these also. And when do you get to be the hostess?

Cathy Weber said...

You did SUCH a great job on this kit Sharron, the card with the tag in it just blew me away...but my absolute favorite was the favor-it box with the dredge tied to the ribbon, that was genius! So glad you did that, I loved that idea. I am so sorry about your daylillies...you must be so upset but I hope maybe the damage won't be so bad when you see it in the daylight. I will be thinking of you.

Joyce said...

Oh, Sharron, so sorry about your daylilys and all the rain and hail. I knew something was wrong last night when your post didn't go right up. I am very glad that you enjoyed the kit, and you really made some wonderful creations. You are so creative. Your first card is stunning--I love how you layered that Memory box die and the dreidle. And, what a clever idea to have a card and a tag together. Smart to back that paper--I felt bad that I had to use flimsy paper for my digital paper, but that was my first time going digital, and I don't think I have the perfect equipment. Your favor box is just darling, as well. Love the two little hanging 'ornaments'.

Kim Heggins said...

Sharron, so beautiful. I can't choose a favorite because they are so beautiful and festive. Your card with the pocket is so clever and love how you made it to hold the fun tag. Your favor box is just too dang cute, I love how you fussy cut the dreidle and added ribbon to pull it out of the pocket, just so creative.

Marybeth said...

Sharron! Wow! You so nailed this Kit! You made some of the most beautiful projects. Love the pocket you came up with on the slant. ( you should add that one in the PTI MIM challenge ) I love all the pockets you have created on your projects. Everything is so elegant!
I am so sorry about all the storm damage you had. Hope today you wont find any more damage. Take Care!

JJ Bolton said...

Oh Sharron!!! Fantastic stuff! And a diagonal pocket? Love it!! So much fun to see the Hanukkah projects this month:)

Hope you are doing well!

Kara said...

Such great projects! I love your diagonal pocket card design!!

Terri said...

They are all great. I especially like the pocket card with the tag.

Terri said...

I forgot to say I hope everything was okay after the storm.

Amy Kolling said...

My favorite here is that first card! It totally looks like a sweet little package all wrapped up! Plus it looks fabulous with that striped paper that I had NO idea how to use! :)

Christina said...

I love your projects, Sharron! The layout on the first one is fantastic--I love the bold striped background. But the tag tucked into the patterned panel on the second card is genius! So simple but clever!

Suzanne said...

Sharron - GENIUS layering everywhere! I love the diagonal pocket, especially! You are so clever!

And congrats on your win! Renee told me about the storms, and I am so sorry for you. I will say a prayer for you tonight that it all works out ok!

BethieJ said...

FABULOUS Creations!! You did a GREAT job with the kit! I love how you girls switched it up this month such a FUN idea!!
Have a GREAT day!