Friday, August 22, 2014

My New Love: Watercoloring!!


When Dawn at WPlus9 started posts for her last release, I knew I had to have this Flora and Fauna set! I love nature images and her butterflies and hummingbirds are AMAZING. I invested in some watercolors and new brushes and started playing with the stamps are soon as they arrived. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them!! At first, I just tried different colors on scrap paper and made a bunch of butterflies. I was initially nervous about the hummingbirds but found them really quite easy, at least after I got used to the watercolor! There are many kinds of hummingbirds so I'm anxious to do more colors. These are ruby-throated, a male and a female--the most common ones in our area.
The above is a sympathy card. On the inside, I used an Altenew sentiment with the smallest butterfly in the WPlus9 set positioned at the top.


I decided to try a different colored butterfly for a birthday card and came up with this. I meant to use the smooth side of the paper but this worked okay. Even though I looked through pictures on the internet, I ended up with just playing with some greens and aquas. I purchased watercolors that are in tubes. with 12 colors. I did find a few more tubes in my old paint supplies. Never know what you might find! Don't even know what they were for since I've never done watercoloring but they had to be from ages ago by the prices on them! Initially I felt pretty intimidated with having to mix colors but as I got more comfortable, I really enjoy them. Makes me feel so creative!

I'm going to enter the butterfly card in the CAS(E) this Sketch Challenge.



Thanks for letting me share,
Sharron

Supplies
Stamps: Flora and Fauna 2, Basic Banners  (WPlus9); Bird of a Feather (PTI); Sun Sentiment (Lil' Inkers)
Paper: White (Recollections and Neenah); Green Acres (WPlus9); Watercolor (Grumbacher); Solid Mat Pad (K&Company) 
Die: Basic Banners (WPlus9), Banner from First Place Award Winner Die Set (MFT)
Additional: Watercolors (Koi, Grumbacher, Winsor and Newton); London Fog Ink to stamp images, Bamboo Leaves (Memento); Wet Cement Ink (Hero Arts); Embossing Folder-Branches (Cuttlebug); Color Shine Gold Spray (Heidi Swapp)

14 comments:

Renee said...

Sharron both of these are gorgeous...
and I knew you would love that Floral and Fauna set...
like it was made for you!
And such a gorgeous butterfly...
love them both!:)

Rhonda said...

These are beautiful Sharron.

Cammie said...

Sharron, these are gorgeous! I love Dawn's videos. You have a true talent with watercolors, and I confess I'm just a tad bit jealous. :)
Have a great weekend.

Cathy Weber said...

You already look like a watercolor pro! The shading on the flowers and hummingbirds is really beautiful...looking forward to seeing lots more watercoloring from you in the future!

Kara said...

gorgeous!!!

Marybeth said...

Oh my gosh these are amazing Sharron! I have tried many times to do the humming birds and I did NOT find them easy to do. You have done a gorgeous job painting them! Wow! Your butterfly is gorgeous as well....love them both ..you my friend are very talented.....but we already knew that:)

Lindsey said...

Sharron, these are amazing! You are a total pro at this, and I can see why you have fallen in love. I've got to watch that video...and then practice. You've certainly inspired me tonight.

OH Babs said...

Lovely water colored card for Case the Sketch.

Anonymous said...

Your cards are beautiful. I especially love the first one. So delicate and pretty and encouraging for a sympathy card!

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, these are both gorgeous!

Nora Noll said...

Oh my!! Both your cards are STUNNING!!! You do a fabulous job with watercolor!! I especially love the butterfly. So elegant!!

Joyce said...

These are both gorgeous. You are getting so great at water coloring. I think I need to have you over for a lesson.

Tracey McNeely said...

Keep watercolouring because you so it beautifully!

Darnell said...

I'm glad I scrolled backwards. That simple butterfly card is SENSATIONAL, Sharron! You are a pro with the watercolors!! Hugs, Darnell