Sunday, July 21, 2013

Curtain Call Inspiration Challenge: Feeling Nautical

There's an exciting new challenge that started this month called Curtain Call!


I wanted to give it a try but wasn't sure what I could use. I keep seeing really cool nautical dies that I plan to order but--well, you know how that goes! Then I remembered about this Wilson Designs set that I haven't had out for TWO years!! Wow, time flies!


So with no dies, I stamped the wheel and anchor and fussy cut them! Usually I love doing this and find it relaxing. However, these are VERY small and getting around the anchor especially was a bit of a challenge! Definitely not a mass production project!!

I cut two of the Lil' Inker Stitched Circles and glued a piece of blue cardstock over part of the back. I stamped the sails but did the boat separately, gluing it so it overlapped the bottom of the cardstock. Then I paper pieced the sails--so the 'sky' would show in the background. After attaching the two pieces of patterned paper, I glued the circle on top, lining up the boat so it barely overlapped the bottom piece and hopefully giving the idea of water.

This has been a fun challenge. Be sure to check on all the DT projects made with wonderful Verve stamps and dies. There is still plenty of time to enter--deadline isn't for 3 days yet!

Thanks for letting me share,
Sharron

Supplies
Stamps: Nauti-Cool (Wilson Designs)
Cardstock: White (WPlus9); Unk blue (Bazzill)
Patterned Paper: Oxford Lane (My Mind's Eye)
Dies: Stitched Circles (Lil' Inker); Double-ended Banners (PTI)
Inks: Paris Dusk (Memento); Toffee (Amuse)
Additional: Button Twine (WMS)

13 comments:

Kara said...

So cute!!

Marisa said...

Love the ginham and well done with he sailor's knot! Thanks for joining us at the Curtain Call.

Stacey Schafer said...

super cute, Sharron! thanks so much for sharing this darling card with us at the Curtain Call!

Cathy Weber said...

Sharron...I feel like I am looking out the port hole on a cruise ship! That is the neatest idea to use the stitched circles and you are so funny talking about cutting out those anchors and steering wheel...I would have made a mess of them! I love that you used the houndstooth patterned paper...such a nice combination of colors.

Darnell said...

Your execution is so sharp and the design elements are so perfect! Mwah, Sharon, love this!! (I can't imagine having to judge all the amazing nautical cards being entered in this challenge!!)

Tracey McNeely said...

Oh my goodness Sharron your card is soo lovely and I love how you used the Lil' Inkers dies. You just sold me I need those dies now. The gingham is such a lovely backdrop for your sailboat. Thank you so much for sharing with us at the first Curtain Call Inspiration Challenge!

Marybeth said...

Oh my gosh ,I can't believe you cut the anchor out by hand ...it looks die cut ! You did not need any new stamps or dies because this card is just perfect! I love it and the lil inkers circle is perfect on this card! Love This!

Kim S said...

Wonderful! I love the "porthole" with the stitched dies. I cannot believe you fussy-cut! Not relaxing to me...very stressful!! Thank you for joining us at the first Curtain Call!

Jill Norwood said...

Sharron this card is so wonderful! I love how you made a porthole with the lil inker stitched circle dies! I just got those and love them!

Christina said...

Are you kidding me?! That is some incredible fussy cutting, Sharron! I'm loving that stitched circle frame, too. Thanks for joining us for the first Curtain Call Inspiration Challenge!

Kim Heggins said...

oh my goodness...your fussy cutting is just stunning! Your hands must be as steady as a surgeons! Sweet card Sharron...love it!

Joyce said...

This is so sweet. And, the die cut circle frame adds to the nautical feel.

Laurie said...

Sharon this is so pretty! I love the stitched circle! Thanks for joining us at Curtain Call!